CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Total Blag!

   I have to admit that I am so proud of Josh. He has been able to count objects one-to-one for quite a while, as well as count to 10. (sometimes he forgets 7!) But today I observed him sorting his gummy bears first, then counting and labeling each pile.

   Let me tell you why this both makes me happy and, yet, leaves me confused. I have been teaching kindergarten for a few years now, and all of those skills that I just mentioned are included in the state's curriculum, but tested for at the first of the year. I am confused because I would still have a couple of kids every year enter K with no knowledge of colors, or being able to count objects. With all that is even just in cartoons these days, I find it odd to know that 5 year olds are not being exposed to those simple things. I am not saying that Josh is any smarter than any other child his age, but I guess I am just proud that Josh, without having any of those math skills shoved down his throat, was able to learn how to do them through his own play.


This is just one reason why Josh won't be starting 3-year-old pre-school this fall. I believe that kids should be kids before they are in school and are every day until they are adults. And just look at the knowledge they can gain if left to do their own investigating and play!!

I really get to brag about these next 2 accomplishments... since they are my own. (and I usually only blog about the boys) This top quilt is one that I made for our arriving baby girl. I started it a few weeks ago, and finished it last week... finally! 

This quilt is for my sister's soon-to-come baby girl. We pregnant women just get really ambitious when we don't find anything we like!  This quilt only took me a few days to complete, since Jamie did all the cutting and pinning before she went home. (our girls will be about 6 weeks apart!)

And, finally, even with my crazy nesting and drill sergeant attitude with Dan, he still brings home my favorite flowers. I love him. Thank you, babe, for putting up with these last few weeks of insanity!!





6 comments:

Barb said...

The quilts are beautiful! You are talented!

Ryan and Jamie Turner said...

Oh linds! Seriously,. I love the quilt. I'm so excited about it. I'm glad that it's not too much pink and not too much brown - and the green works perfectly with our new green walls (well - we haven't exactly painted them yet). I'm so excited! THAAAAAANK YOOOOOOOUUUU! And Leila's quilt is also very cute. I love those colors together.

Tanya said...

Those quilts are fabulous! I'm so impressed. I makes me want to quilt something.

And yes, let's get together and play with nail polish! Now that it's cooling down I want to wear all the dark colors for fall/winter.

Melanie Sharp said...

Those quilts are fantastic. Good work!

Goates Gang said...

Nice Work!! I love the quilts!

Juliann said...

YAY! First of all the quilts are darling, you did such a good job! Love the colors and combos. Secondly, go ahead and say it. . . Josh IS smarter than other three-year-olds. He's awesome!